Wednesday, March 16, 2011

We're Home and Still Alive!

We are home and so far we are doing well. Peyton came home on the following medication:

*Lasix
*Aldactone
*Aspirin
*Benadryl
*Hydrocortisone Cream
*Tylenol and Motrin (as needed)
*1/2 liter of oxygen



We got home around 1:30PM on Sunday and it felt so good to be home. I even got everything unpacked and put away that afternoon. Home health came in around 5:30PM to get our oxygen set up. Peyton now wanders around with a 50 foot cord and is constantly getting stuck on things. He will holler to me from the other room that he can't move because he's stuck! It's kinda cute. The tank is in the boy's room which is nice cause then everybody that comes over doesn't have to see it. And Mason calls it R2D2 cause it kinda looks like that!

Mason went back to school on Monday and it was hard for him. He didn't want to have to wake up early again. I think he enjoyed his time with his grandparents and being able to sleep in. Tanner has been quite enjoyable since being home. I always knew he liked to be home but I never knew how much he liked it. He's like a completely different kid!

Peyton seems to be feeling rather well. I've been giving him Ibuprofen when he wakes up and when he goes to bed just so he doesn't have any pain. His rash is looking ten times better. It's just hard because he wants to scratch it and he can't.

Everything was going really well with Peyton until last night. I had a presidency meeting and I pulled in about 9:20PM. Montana came flying out of the house saying that Peyton had pulled his stitches out! *Side Note - When they stitch these little kiddos up, they do it on the inside from the bottom on up and then they leave a little clear stitch hanging out. They lay that stitch on the outside of the incision and then cover the incision.* Anyway, we had strict instructions that if that came out, that we would need to go back to the hospital cause it would pretty much "unzip" his incision. So, Montana is freaking out cause we have to take him to SLC and I get on the phone with Bonnie (the Nurse Practitioner). Oh, and there is a little section of his incision that has come "unzipped". She says to come on up and to have the ER call her when we get there and she'll come in. We put a little piece of the SteriStrips over it and tell Peyton not to move or touch it! So, we call my cousin who's at BYU and ask her to come and sit with the other two kids. We head to PCMC and get checked in about 11:00PM. I tell EVERYBODY that I talk to that we need to call Bonnie. Each person says to tell the next. So, I do. Finally at about 12:30AM we are seen by the resident, a nurse, and the attending doctor. I tell them to call Bonnie after they look at the little hole in the incision. They finally say, "Okay, we'll call and see what she wants us to do". I sit there and think, "It's about time!". They come back in a few minutes later and say that Bonnie is on her way and she wants to look at it. Well, DUH, I could have told them that! So, Bonnie hurries over and looks at it. She decides to clean it with Betadine and put more SteriStrips over the top. It takes all of about 10 minutes. Then she hands me some packages of Betadine and gives us instructions to clean over the top of the SteriStrips twice a day until we go to our follow-up next week.



And to see the Pediatrician on Thursday (as scheduled), have him give us more Betadine, and have him call Bonnie while we are still there and let her know what is going on. She told us we were good to go. So we started packing up and heading out when the ER nurses and doctors told us we couldn't leave yet. We start to head back into the room and we hear Bonnie railing on the doctors and nurses. She said something to the effect of, "I told them to come up here so that I could look at it and take care of it. They have waited and are ready to go. Get the papers so they can sign." She waited until we were all through and even walked out with us. I knew that I always really liked Bonnie but this confirmed it even more! She was awesome! So, then Peyton got a pink slushie and we were on our way home. I went to bed around 3:00AM and then woke up just after 7:00AM to get Mason to school. Oh the joys of being a mother!

Also, we ordered some new rugs for our family room a few weeks ago and they came in yesterday! It is so amazing what new rugs do for a room. And they are comfy to sit on! We had them custom made so they fit the room a lot better than anything else we had looked at. We are pretty pleased with how they turned out.




That's all for now. We are surviving and are grateful for wonderful friends, family, and ward members that help out! Oh and a lady I visit teach brought us this awesomely delicious cake!

1 comment:

Allison said...

I hate the ER. I think they are so accustomed to having families who are not frequent flyers at PCMC when in reality, I think most heart families know the ropes well enough that we could run the place if they let us! I am glad that the stitches are going to be ok and most of all that you are home and loving it! WOW. I can't tell you how glad I am to see Peyton doing so well. He has helped calm some of my Fontan nerves just knowing that it IS possible to have an easy road with it!