Thursday, January 17, 2013

Labor, Delivery, Hospital

I got the call on Sunday night that we were scheduled for the C-Section at 9:30 the next morning.  We needed to check in to Labor and Delivery at 7:30 AM.  I was not allowed to eat after midnight.  I ended up eating dinner around 5:30 Sunday night and then didn't eat again until after Austin was born!  And here's what happened throughout the day on Monday, the 14th...



7:30 AM - Checked in to Labor and Delivery
8:15 AM - Given Epidural - Strong dose for a C-Section
9:10 AM - Doctor came in and successfully turned the baby!  No C-Section needed!

Then, for the next 1 1/2 hours, life was kinda crazy.  The baby's heart rate dropped after they turned him and my doctor just watched it.  It took a little bit of time, but his heart rate finally returned to a safe place.  Then, my blood pressure suddenly dropped....really, really low!  I was nauseous, shaking really bad, and just didn't feel good.  They gave me some medicine and my blood pressure came back up.  And then it would drop again.  So, they gave me more medicine.  This continued for awhile.  The doctor was squeezing the IV bag to get fluids in me as fast as he could.  The Anesthesiologist was the one administering the medicine every time my blood pressure dropped.  And I had 2-3 nurses in my room the entire time as well.  I was really scared!  My body was just reacting to the high dose of the epidural since we were prepping for a C-Section.  It was decided that we would wait for the epidural to work its way out of my system before we induced labor.  By 11:00 AM, I was finally stable enough to start labor.

11:00 AM - Started pitocin, dilated 2 cm, 70% effaced
11:30 AM - Turned up pitocin
12:20 PM - Turned up pitocin, contractions getting harder
12:55 PM - Turned up pitocin, dilated 3 cm, 80% effaced
1:10 PM - Started epidural again, lower dose
1:45 PM - Baby's heart rate was dropping, put on oxygen and baby was okay
2:15 PM - Dilated 6 cm, 90% effaced
2:35 PM - Pushed button for more epidural medicine
2:55 PM - Dilated 7 1/2 cm, 90 % effaced
3:10 PM - Stopped pitocin because baby's heart rate was continuing to drop
3:28 PM - Dilated 8 cm, 90% effaced
4:00 PM - Dilated 8 cm, 90% effaced - Since I hadn't changed, they decided to roll me onto my other side. This made the baby's heart rate drop a lot and he wasn't recovering so they promptly turned me back and I didn't move out of that position until I started to push!
4:15 PM - Inserted an internal contraction monitor, dilated 9 cm, 90% effaced
4:55 PM - Dilated 9 cm, 90% effaced
5:00 PM - Pushed button for more epidural medicine
5:35 PM - Doctor showed up to check me.  I still hadn't changed so he had me start pushing while he helped the baby move down.

I pushed for about 20 minutes.  The baby wasn't coming very well on his own so they had to use forceps   Those things hurt!  When the doctor put the forceps on, I screamed because it hurt so badly.  And then the doctor had to cut me.  I was in so much pain.  And finally, at 6:02 PM, the baby was born.  I was so grateful to see that baby out of me!  It took quite a while for the after birth to be delivered.  The doctor had to pretty much scrape everything out of me.  And then he stitched me up.






Us with Dr. Dayton - Love that doctor!

After I was all put back together (and eating crackers and drinking juice), Montana brought the baby to me so I could hold him.  I was so shaky that I didn't even want to hold him because I was afraid I would drop him.  So, Montana stood by my bed so I could look at the baby.  I finally did try to hold him but that only lasted about 5 minutes.

Then it was time for Montana to go with the baby to be cleaned up and me to be taken down to the Mother/Baby unit.  I was able to get up and walk a little bit with some help.  And I ordered my dinner so it would be ready when I got to my room!




Montana headed home that night and I attempted to sleep...between vital checks for me and the baby, not much sleep was happening.  I did send the baby to the nursery so I could catch a few hours but that didn't last long!

Day 2 -
My mom and Tanner came to visit me in the morning.  It was really good for Tanner to come and see me.  He was so excited to see his baby brother.  We googled boy names while we visited.  And then the insurance guy called.  He said that he could add the baby to our insurance right then and bring me the papers to sign and it would be taken care of.  The only information he needed was the baby's name!  So, we made a quick decision and named him Austin Mac Page.  And he totally fits that name!







Mason and Peyton were going to come to the hospital after school.  But, Mason ended up coming home early from school because he was sick.  So, Peyton was the only one to come later.  He loved holding his brother and seeing his mom!  Kassie stopped by later that evening as well.







I slept much better the second night!  And so did Austin!  And we were ready to leave by the time morning came.

Day 3 -
Montana came in the morning and ate breakfast with me.  Then he headed home to sleep.  I showered, napped, and packed up my stuff.  When Montana showed up around 3:30 PM, I was completely ready to go.  I was tired of sitting in the hospital bed and just wanted my own couch and bed.  Montana got Austin dressed and ready to go.







Then we loaded the car and were out of there around 4:00 PM.  We filled my prescriptions and headed home.  The boys were so excited to see us...especially Mason since he didn't get to come to the hospital.  It was so good to be home!




And thanks to my mom who took care of a sick Mason, cleaned my house, prepared dinner, got the kids to and from school, watched Tanner, and everything else that I can't think of!  It was so nice to know that the kids were taken care of while I was in the hospital and Montana was working.





Oh, and Mason was finally able to hold his brother when he was 4 days old!


Randee had this cute outfit and candy bar bouquet delivered to our room while I was in labor.  And Provo Canyon School sent us this flower bouquet once we got home!




No comments: