Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Week In Review...or a little more!

Just a heads up...this is a long post! Lots has happened since our last little post. To start, Peyton was up again on his weight at the doctor today. His Pediatrician said that we can send back his feeding pump and be done with the tube FOR GOOD! It was such great and exciting news...And we only have one more synagis shot! Peyton has also wanted to start eating anything and everything that we put in front of him. If we don't give him some of our dinner, he gets mad and refuses to eat his dinner. I guess that's good except he doesn't manage some of the foods well enough yet!

Montana keeps asking me when I am going to post about him and the adventures that he has put me through lately. What better time than now?!? On the 13th of March, Montana decided to throw a curve ball into my day. I was cleaning the house, doing laundry, going to the store, etc., so I would be ready for my mom to come and stay with me Friday night and Saturday. Well, around noon I received a phone call from Montana saying that he needed me to pick him up at work. He had the car at work and I didn't understand how I was supposed to pick him up without a vehicle. He proceeded to tell me that he was having chest pains and the doctor at work told him to go see his doctor and to NOT drive there. He finally found a ride to the doctor and the doctor sent him to the ER at Orem (right next door). I finally found a babysitter and a ride to Montana's work to pick up the car and I headed to the ER.

When I got there, all of Montana's tests were coming back...NEGATIVE. This is awesome news when you have chest pain! The doctor at the ER called a cardiologist at Utah Valley Regional and we were given a couple of options. Montana could be put on a bunch of meds and go home for the weekend and come back on Monday for a stress test. If this test showed anything, then he would have to go in for an angiogram (heart cath - Peyton has had about three of these, I think). Our other option was to go straight to Utah Valley Regional and just have the angiogram. Side note - Montana's dad has had heart problems for a lot of his life...including heart attacks, triple bypass... Because of Montana's dad's history, we decided to go with the angiogram. Since Montana went to Orem with chest pain, I couldn't drive him to Utah Valley Regional...he had to go by ambulance...just what we need, more bills! I went to pick up the kids from the babysitter and get somebody lined up to give Montana a blessing and hurry to Utah Valley Regional to make sure they didn't start the angiogram before we arrived. Well, I got there with the kids and two men from our ward and Montana still hadn't left the Orem Hospital. He finally showed up and we all went to his room. This was about 4:00PM.


My mom arrived and we took the kids to get dinner and then went back to the room to wait. The techs came at 6:00PM to take Montana to the Cath Lab. We followed him down and waited, and waited, and waited.


Finally they wheeled him out and the tech told me that there was some disease and the cardiologist would be out to talk to me in a minute! Well, we waited and waited and waited and waited............ About 20 minutes later, the cardiologist came out. I was so nervous by then that I couldn't even help my kids. Good thing my mom was there! The cardiologist explained that there was only some plaque in Montana's arteries but nothing that was causing trouble right now. He put him on a low-fat diet and 4 different meds and said he would be released from the hospital in a couple of hours. I was finally able to breathe again and we went up to see Montana. He doesn't remember us coming into the room at all. The boys were able to see him for a minute and then we took them home to put them to bed. On the drive home, I explained to Mason that I was going to put him to bed and then go back to get Montana. He started to cry and I asked him what was wrong. He then said, "But I didn't get to say goodnight to him". He was pretty upset so I told him we would call when we got home. He forgot until I put him in bed and then I had to tell him that the phone wouldn't ring in his room because it was so late and it would just go to the nurse. He was okay with that! My mom stayed with the boys and I went back to the hospital to pick up Montana. I asked the nurse, while we there, why Montana had chest pains if no arteries were blocked or partially blocked. Her theory, as well as ours, was that it was a blessing in disguise...Heavenly Father's way of saying that something needed to change so that Montana doesn't end up with a heart attack early on in life. He recovered well from the angiogram and he has lost over 10 pounds since! I was definitely ready for a break by the time he was up and moving again!

We had a very fun St. Patrick's Day! We started off with a Preschool Party for Mason at our house. The kids had a great time and the weather was wonderful for us to hold most of the party outside. We had green waffles and green orange juice for dinner that night. We don't have pictures of it because Montana made the dinner and didn't take pictures. Oh well. I did make this cool cake for Preschool though.

Last weekend, we decided to invest in a bike trailer for the boys. We found a bike for me at Savers for cheap and we think it's even nicer than Montana's. On Saturday we took a ride up Provo Canyon. We didn't realize how much of it was uphill until we came back and we flew down the canyon. We packed a lunch and stopped at a park to eat. Mason thought it was great and Peyton got a little nap in. And Montana rode a bike for 10.5 miles that day...I did 6!




Sorry for the long post...Enjoy the pictures!

7 comments:

Christina said...

How crazy. I love those blessings in disguise! I am glad Montana is doing well. Your cake is totally cute, good job!

Hugs & Prayers,
Christina from IHH

One Happy Heart Family said...

WOW Crazy week for you guys. It is so hard when Mommy and Daddy are sick. I am glad Montana is doing better. What a fun picnic. I can't wait for WARM weather and NO SNOW! Oh and your cake, YUMMY YUMMY, lots of work and way worth it. I need to be more creative like you. We still need to plan a lunch date, or picnic next time your up this way. Let me know.

Jen said...

I hope Montana is going to be ok. That is awful news but good that you had things checked out. We will be thinking of you.

barryblog said...

Yeah Peyton!! I am so glad he got rid of the tube for good. Seeing him walk is a hoot!!

Nancy Page said...

We are so glad that Peyton is doing so well> We love you Montana and we are glad that you are aware, too. So take care of yourself. Our family has seen enough doctors and deaths.

carolyn q said...

Oh my goodness, I had wondered why you had been so quiet.
I am glad that in the end Montana is okay and will be more mindful of his diet and exercise. I can only imagine the fright that went through you and I am glad that your mom was there to help out.
I am glad that the kids are doing well, The bike ride/picnic looked like alot of tiring fun.
I love the decoration on the cake. I will have to steal the idea for my St. Patricks meal next year.
(HUGS)

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest cake I have ever seen!!! Do you mind if I steal that idea :0)

I'm glad that peyton is done with the feeding tube....FOR GOOD!!!!! We ar ein a constant struggle with out 10 month old's weight.....In fact, if you put something in his mouth that he does not like, he will gag on it until he throws up.....It's a constant battle, but I think we are getting a little better.....keep your fingers crossed for us :0)

I hope that Montana is doing better!!!

Alyson